Accounting Manager - Golden State Warriors (Oakland, CA)
About the Position
Accounting Manager will work with the Controller and/or Asst. Controller and other finance and accounting team members to improve financial reporting, controls, and policies and manage the day-to-day operations of the accounts receivable and accounts payable functions of the Golden State Warriors. The Accounting Manager will be a hands-on leader, willing to roll up his/her sleeves and take direct personal action. The Accounting Manager will maintain procedures, systems, and processes necessary to maintain proper records. Reporting to the Accounting Manager will be a team of approximately two to three full-time employees.
Supervises A/R and A/P personnel and transactions
Responsible for overseeing accounting procedures, internal controls (implementing, monitoring, enhancing)
Randomly audits work flow to assure that all accounting transactions are appropriately authorized
Supervises or prepares monthly journal entries
Assists in the preparation of financial statements
Supervises or prepares general ledger reconciliations
Assures internal control compliance
May train staff on internal control procedures; assists Controller as needed
Supports monthly closing process
Works on special projects, assists with various audit preparation
Required Experience & Skills
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA certification a plus
A strong technical background in GAAP accounting and financial reporting. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 6-10 years of experience, including both Big 4 public accounting experience and experience in private industry in an accounting/financial reporting role
Strong financial analysis skills, with proven excellence in instituting improvements in timeliness and quality of financial reporting, analysis, and accounting
Significant experience in implementation and maintenance of strong internal controls. The ideal candidate will identify opportunities for control improvements and maintain strong internal controls.
Significant general ledger and financial systems experience (Great Plains experience is a plus), with proven ability to maximize the capabilities of the Company’s systems to drive efficiency and profitability. High proficiency with manipulation and analysis of data in Microsoft Excel is a must.
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the Controller, the responsibility for accounting
A self-motivated and team-oriented individual with a strong work ethic and positive attitude
Proven leadership experience in supervising a diverse group of clerical and professional employees, with strong coaching and staff development skills. Ability to lead by example with a hands-on approach and lead and manage change
A strong evaluator and manager of talent, able to assist in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring team
Innovative outlook – genuine business creativity, with the ability to challenge the status quo and drive improvements to processes and performance
Staff Accountant - Monumental Sports & Entertainment (Arlington, VA)
Monumental Sports & Entertainment owns and operates three professional sports teams: the NBA's Washington Wizards, the NHL's Washington Capitals, and the WNBA's Washington Mystics. Monumental, which merged Lincoln Holdings and Washington Sports & Entertainment on June 10, 2010, also owns and operates Verizon Center, the premier sports and entertainment venue in Washington, D.C. Additionally, the group operates Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the Capitals' state-of-the-art training facility in Arlington, Va., and George Mason University's Patriot Center, located in Fairfax, Va.
Overview: Responsible for assisting with various accounting/finance needs related to the operations of the Washington Capitals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and the Kettler Capitals Iceplex.
Prepares journal entries and monthly financial statements for Mystics and Kettler.
Assists with the preparation of monthly financial statements for Capitals and Wizards.
Assists with preparation of budget and league reporting for all teams.
Prepares account analysis for Mystics and Kettler.
Assists with the Mystics accounts payable process.
Prepares daily Cash Reports for all teams.
Responsible for preparing the miscellaneous deposits for all teams.
Assist with the MSE Foundation.
Assists with special projects as assigned.
Related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Working knowledge of Archtics and Great Plains a plus.
Ability to multi-task and manage business relationships in a professional and confidential manner.
Excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
Summary: What a great opportunity to be a huge part of our team with the new ownership here in Sacramento and to come in on the ground floor of planning for a brand new, state of the art downtown arena in the near future! The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for compiling and maintaining account receivable and general ledger records by performing the following duties.
Key Responsibility Areas:
• Process cash receipt transactions on a daily basis. • Prepare invoices for billing. • Maintain customer files, including all accounting and legal documents. • Research and analyze problem invoices and follow up on inquiries. • Prepare analysis and client status reports on a weekly basis and as required. • Process NSF checks, credit card inquiries, and credit card chargebacks. • Verify and report daily ticket sales and cash activity. • Participate in the monthly close and annual audits • Post journal entries related to (but not limited to) the sale of tickets, merchandise, internal merchandise, and parking. • Provide support to department’s accountants and managers. • Assist in preparing and distributing daily, weekly, and quarterly reports to management. • Perform all work in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). • Reconcile balance sheet accounts. Reconcile all duties stated above to the general ledger. • Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential. • Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures. • Various other projects and duties may be assigned as required.
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in Accounting from a four-year college or university, and two years of accounting experience. • Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. • Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. • Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. • Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. • Ability to solve practical problems in a fast paced environment. • In-depth working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Accounting software; knowledge of Ticketmaster software preferred. • Must be well organized, able to multi-task, and detail-oriented. • Capable of working extended hours such as nights, weekends, and overtime as needed. • Extensive work viewing LED/LCD (similar) screens. • Must be able to attend training and professional development events as needed.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Tell me about your previous work experience in accounting?
2. What were the most challenging aspects of your work?
3. Tell me about a complex project you were tasked with completing under deadline.
4. What have you done recently to become better at accounting?
5. What are your salary expectations?
6. Please tell me your experience working with Deferred Revenues.