Accounting Manager - Golden State Warriors (Oakland, CA)
About the Position
Accounting Manager will work with the Controller and/or Asst. Controller and other finance and accounting team members to improve financial reporting, controls, and policies and manage the day-to-day operations of the accounts receivable and accounts payable functions of the Golden State Warriors. The Accounting Manager will be a hands-on leader, willing to roll up his/her sleeves and take direct personal action. The Accounting Manager will maintain procedures, systems, and processes necessary to maintain proper records. Reporting to the Accounting Manager will be a team of approximately two to three full-time employees.
Supervises A/R and A/P personnel and transactions
Responsible for overseeing accounting procedures, internal controls (implementing, monitoring, enhancing)
Randomly audits work flow to assure that all accounting transactions are appropriately authorized
Supervises or prepares monthly journal entries
Assists in the preparation of financial statements
Supervises or prepares general ledger reconciliations
Assures internal control compliance
May train staff on internal control procedures; assists Controller as needed
Supports monthly closing process
Works on special projects, assists with various audit preparation
Required Experience & Skills
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA certification a plus
A strong technical background in GAAP accounting and financial reporting. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 6-10 years of experience, including both Big 4 public accounting experience and experience in private industry in an accounting/financial reporting role
Strong financial analysis skills, with proven excellence in instituting improvements in timeliness and quality of financial reporting, analysis, and accounting
Significant experience in implementation and maintenance of strong internal controls. The ideal candidate will identify opportunities for control improvements and maintain strong internal controls.
Significant general ledger and financial systems experience (Great Plains experience is a plus), with proven ability to maximize the capabilities of the Company’s systems to drive efficiency and profitability. High proficiency with manipulation and analysis of data in Microsoft Excel is a must.
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the Controller, the responsibility for accounting
A self-motivated and team-oriented individual with a strong work ethic and positive attitude
Proven leadership experience in supervising a diverse group of clerical and professional employees, with strong coaching and staff development skills. Ability to lead by example with a hands-on approach and lead and manage change
A strong evaluator and manager of talent, able to assist in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring team
Innovative outlook – genuine business creativity, with the ability to challenge the status quo and drive improvements to processes and performance
Director Finance Marketing Partnerships & Team Sales - New York Knicks/MSG (New York, NY)
Provide daily financial guidance to Marketing Partnerships EVP, Marketing Partnership SVP/VP’s and Sales Directors/Managers. Prepares marketing partnership deal financial schedules, detailing all revenue and expense projections as well as summary analysis for senior management. Manages Marketing Partnership revenue recognition process, including contract/deal memo tracking, comparison to rate card, certification of Wide Orbit revenue entry, monthly revenue posting to general ledger and actual versus budget comparison. Manages marketing partnership expense analysis, including fulfillment costs and general & administrative expenses. Prepares annual budgets and quarterly forecasts for MSG Sports Marketing Partnerships (revenue & expense). Develops Marketing Partnership internal management reports, including implementation and development of CRM, allowing flexible, real time reporting. Liaison with VP Media Finance on credit, billing and collections for all MSG Sports partnerships. Review, approve and reconcile commissions for all MSG Sports Sales Mangers. Assist with completion of all NBA, NHL and WNBA reporting packages and surveys. Ensure compliance with all established internal controls and company policies surrounding marketing partnership revenue & expense, including identifying areas for potential enhancements. Special projects as assigned.
Must have excellent academic credentials, undergraduate degree in accounting or finance. CPA/MBA a plus. Must be proficient in Excel and possess working knowledge of accounting systems and other automated environments. Significant experience in accounting/finance analysis (public and/or private). Very strong analytical skills. Ability to multi task and follow up. Understanding of GAAP and corporate accounting policies. Understanding of sponsorship/advertising sales business. Ability to communicate with senior executives. Understanding of the Company’s culture and policies. Ability to establish effective interdepartmental relations. Effective time management.
Summary: What a great opportunity to be a huge part of our team with the new ownership here in Sacramento and to come in on the ground floor of planning for a brand new, state of the art downtown arena in the near future! The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for compiling and maintaining account receivable and general ledger records by performing the following duties.
Key Responsibility Areas:
• Process cash receipt transactions on a daily basis.
• Prepare invoices for billing.
• Maintain customer files, including all accounting and legal documents.
• Research and analyze problem invoices and follow up on inquiries.
• Prepare analysis and client status reports on a weekly basis and as required.
• Process NSF checks, credit card inquiries, and credit card chargebacks.
• Verify and report daily ticket sales and cash activity.
• Participate in the monthly close and annual audits
• Post journal entries related to (but not limited to) the sale of tickets, merchandise, internal merchandise, and parking.
• Provide support to department’s accountants and managers.
• Assist in preparing and distributing daily, weekly, and quarterly reports to management.
• Perform all work in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Reconcile balance sheet accounts. Reconcile all duties stated above to the general ledger.
• Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
• Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
• Various other projects and duties may be assigned as required.
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in Accounting from a four-year college or university, and two years of accounting experience.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to solve practical problems in a fast paced environment.
• In-depth working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Accounting software; knowledge of Ticketmaster software preferred.
• Must be well organized, able to multi-task, and detail-oriented.
• Capable of working extended hours such as nights, weekends, and overtime as needed.
• Extensive work viewing LED/LCD (similar) screens.
• Must be able to attend training and professional development events as needed.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Tell me about your previous work experience in accounting?
2. What were the most challenging aspects of your work?
3. Tell me about a complex project you were tasked with completing under deadline.
4. What have you done recently to become better at accounting?
5. What are your salary expectations?