Part-Time Statistical Technical Coordinator - Atlanta Hawks and Philips Arena (Atlanta, GA)
The Part Time STC is responsible for assisting and supporting the NBA HSAN infrastructure for basketball games and related services for the Atlanta Hawks. The incumbent in this position is expected to model the following practices on a daily basis:
1) Demonstrated alignment with the NBA’s mission (The Game Above All).
2) Collaboration with key internal/external resources and 3) Ongoing self development.
• Experience with and troubleshooting Microsoft Windows XP & Windows 7 operating systems. • PC hardware configurations to include the installation and troubleshooting of components. • General knowledge in networks to include basic TCP/IP understanding, DNS and DHCP. • General knowledge of local and wide area networks. • Assist with the setup of statistical equipment for production of basketball games. • Provide support of different applications used for statistical output. • Assist media and staff with issues connecting to wireless network. • Provide tenant, vendor and event support as necessary and system security. • Understanding of network data and serial cabling. • Work in conjunction with stats and game night crew team members to ensure facility integrity. • Flexible scheduling, ability to work weekends and odd shifts. • Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software issues in a timely manner • Perform other duties as required or assigned.
The following personal attributes are considered essential requisites for effective performance of the holder of this position.
1) Strong Work Ethic 2) Good Interpersonal Skills 3) Strong Time Management 3) Detail Oriented and Very Dependable 4) Integrity and the Ability to Work with Minimum Supervision
• Associates degree in Computer Information Systems or related field plus 3 years of experience. (Experience can be substituted for education). • Flexible scheduling • Working knowledge of Windows 7 and XP operating systems • Ability to diagnose problems and resolve in a timely matter. • Reliable transportation and mobile communications
-General knowledge in networks to include basic TCP/IP understanding, DNS and DHCP -General knowledge of networking, serial communications, video and broadcast technology -Knowledge of basketball rules and concepts -Knowledge of NBA & statistics preferred
Reports to: Daryl Morey, General Manager of Basketball Operations
The Houston Rockets front office is looking to add a talented new member to the team. This person will work intimately with the entire front office, including GM Daryl Morey, to organize basketball data, build software tools, and analyze basketball games. People who hate coding need not apply, though the job could easily be a fit for talented data scientists, software engineers, forecasters, web developers, statisticians, DBAs, machine learning experts, etc. Experience in basketball is not required; learning easily is. Much of the work is in SQL, so interested applicants should have either tangible SQL experience or a deep understanding of programming combined with an appetite to learn SQL quickly. Nimbleness of mind is key, as is the candidate's ability to fit into an energetic, passionate work environment in Houston. The position reports to the Daryl Morey, (GM)
Bachelor's degree or higher in related field
Experience with varied programming languages, particularly SQL
Experience with statistics and commonly used statistics packages, econometrics, data visualization, and basketball analytics are desirable.
Background in mathematical or computational field are desirable but not required.
Experience with large data sets is an advantage, as is experience with scripting languages
Interest in and familiarity of basketball and terminology
Highly motivated and dependable Individuals that exhibit our ONE TEAM PHILOSOPHY of PASSION, ACCOUNTABILITY, CUSTOMER FOCUS, TEAMWORK are welcome to apply!
Equal Opportunity Employer NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Yes/No Do you have experience with statistics and commonly used statistics packages, econometrics, data?
2. Yes/No Do you have experience with varied programming languages, particularly SQL?
BASKETBALL ANALYST - PHILADELPHIA 76ERS (PHILADELPHIA, PA)
The Philadelphia 76ers are looking to add talented new developers, software engineers, statistical analysts, and data scientists to the team. Basketball analysts will work as a part of the front office and collaborate extensively with the entire basketball operations department including President and GM Sam Hinkie. Experience in basketball is not required; analytical talent and learning easily is. The Sixers are looking for both permanent employees and interns. Most basketball analysts will work in our basketball operations office in Philadelphia but other arrangements may be possible.
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following depending on your background and interests:
• Gather, clean and integrate data from a variety of sources
• Maintain and extend our existing analytics infrastructure
• Create both ad-hoc analyses and standardized reports across a variety of platforms
• Forecast the results of basketball plays, players, teams, and seasons
• Innovate across all aspects of basketball operations
• Develop recommendations for the decisions we face across the basketball operations department
• Collaborate effectively on team projects and work autonomously on individual work as appropriate
• Communicate results to the basketball operations staff through presentations, written reports, and tools
Qualified candidates will have demonstrated many of the following characteristics:
• Strong programming skills (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby, C++, Java,….) to support both the front-end and back-end of applications
• Strong database skills (e.g. SQL, Teradata,….)
• Strong statistical skills and experience with statistical and analysis software (R, SAS, Stata, Matlab, Octave)
• Strong experience with Bayesian analysis
• Strong experience with experimental design, linear regression, logistic regression, non-linear regression, k-means clustering, decision trees, and other advanced techniques
• Visualization expertise
• Machine Learning expertise
• Data Mining expertise
• Big Data expertise including distributed processing
• Mobile application expertise
Manager of Basketball Information Systems - Spurs Sports & Entertainment (San Antonio, TX)
POSITION SUMMARY: An experienced software engineer to be the lead software architect for the Basketball Operations department. This position will be responsible for managing, designing, and overseeing the development, implementation, and maintenance of internal databases, user interfaces, and related technology platforms. Most notably, this will involve managing the implementation of a new internal scouting database and associated reporting platform. The eligible candidate will be responsible for requirements gathering (via in-person, phone and e-mail interactions with other members of Basketball Operations department), and delivering fully functional applications. The eligible candidate will be familiar with the software development life cycle, including design, implementation, maintenance, and support.
This position is also responsible for managing and advancing various technologies utilized by the Basketball Operations department. In addition, they will take the lead role in researching, evaluating, proposing, and implementing new technologies as warranted, that can enhance the organization’s work flow and processes, as well as for facility upgrade considerations.
This position will work as a part of the front office and collaborate extensively with the entire Basketball Operations department including GM, management, coaches, medical and training staff.
In every position, each employee is expected to: Demonstrate Alignment with SS&E’s Core Values and Mission, Collaborate with Internal/External Family Members and Demonstrate Ongoing Development.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Redesign and rebuilding of our transactional databases and data warehouse front end, as well as making any ongoing further enhancements as determined by Basketball Operations staff needs after redesign is complete. This includes collaborating with and managing external developers as needed, requirements gathering, creating and managing timelines, and documenting/analyzing existing and new organizational workflows and processes.
Manage and administer a Microsoft SQL database server including periodic maintenance tasks, and ad hoc batch data entry/extracts on large volumes of basketball-related data as requests arise.
Manage third party vendors providing technological resources and/or data feeds to the Basketball Operations department, along with various technologies (analytical programs, systems, and resources) utilized by the department, both independent or associated with vendors.
Build user-friendly software tools for use by the Basketball Operations staff.
Periodically perform ad hoc data mining on large volumes of basketball-related data as requests arise, via Microsoft SQL Server, Excel, or other statistical tools, independently or under the direction of senior analytics staff.
Other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Bachelor's degree from accredited university in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Information Systems, Information Technology, or related field with focus on programming
4-6 years’ experience as a database administrator, developer, data analyst, or similar role; 1-2 years’ experience working with a collegiate or professional sports team or sports-focused organization is preferred
Strong Microsoft SQL Server programming and administration skills along with database design and data collection methodology, including the underlying relational and dimensional data models
Strong programming skills (C#, Visual Basic, .NET, Java) to support both the front-end and back-end of applications, with robust experience working with an object oriented programming language, and working with a relational database management system
Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel (including PivotTables), Word, PowerPoint, Access, and other computer skills
Strong project management skills, including the ability to work independently and coordinate multiple tasks
Strong organizational skills, with a robust attention to detail, in regards both to checking and working with data, as well as visual presentation of deliverables and reports
Strong collaboration skills with the ability to work with and communicate with people from all departments and at all levels of the organization.
Ability to handle high pressure situations while still being attentive to the detail and excellent work product required
Knowledge of advanced basketball statistics, and knowledge of common basketball statistical resources, both public and proprietary
Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive/confidential situations and information
Familiarity with SAS Business Analytics software a plus
Familiarity with basic statistical analysis techniques (e.g., regression/modeling, hypothesis testing, categorical data analysis) and data visualization is a plus
A working knowledge of the NBA, and the NBA rules & regulations, is preferred
Stand/Sit/Walk for long periods of time.
Ability to lift/push/pull 50 lbs
*SS&E is an Equal Opportunity Employer*
Nothing contained in this job description is intended to be a contract of employment, nor does any information contained herein represent a guarantee of employment for a specific duration. Your employment with SS&E is “at will”, which means that either you or SS&E may terminate the relationship at any time
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Do you have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Information Systems, Information Technology, or related field with focus on programming?
2. Do you have a minimum of four (4) years' experience as a database administrator, developer, data analyst, or similar role?
3. Please describe your experience with Microsoft SQL server programming and administration skills?
4. Please describe your experience with C#, Visual Basic, .Net, and Java.