Communications: Communications Department Management
Manager, Basketball Communications - Los Angeles Clippers (Los Angeles, CA)
We are seeking a Manager, Basketball Communications to facilitate the overall narrative of the LA Clippers across traditional and new distribution channels. You will be primarily responsible for creating the Clippers’ basketball storylines, with a goal of creating unique, shareable content that drives the business. In addition, you will assist in developing the distribution channels, both owned and earned, to amplify messaging on a local, regional and national level. You will lead media relations duties including credentialing and media seating, with support and execution from communications staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work within the integrated marketing and communications teams to develop daily basketball storylines that drive our narrative;
• Curate a unique perspective on the Clippers as a team and an organization from the view of front office, coaches, players, staff and community;
• Strong writing skills needed to generate written, basketball editorial content and organizational messaging.
• Evolve and drive editorial calendar and voice for the LA Clippers, with a focus on building rare, sharable content across multiple platforms;
• Drive storylines that provide meaningful content for partner distribution for outlets including media, digital partners, broadcast partners;
• Running a game-night intern crew of five to seven members to successfully assist in obtaining quotes, passing out stats and preparing the arena for game night.
• Secondary communications contact for the team, that includes traveling to the majority of road games;
• Assist in the coordination of interview requests for players, coaches, and front office staff;
• Increase the direct relationships with members of the local and national basketball media to generate new business opportunities;
• Primary contact for media credential requests and seating.
CHARACTERISTICS / QUALIFICATIONS
• BA/BS or equivalent is required; preferably in Marketing, Events, Public Relations or Communications;
• 5-8 years of strong communications experience, preferably in professional sports, events and entertainment;
• Strong working relationships with LA-based media outlets across multiple platforms;
• Ability to develop storylines and execute across multiple platforms;
• Knowledge of the content production process, and delivering on deadlines and within a budget;
• A consistent track record as an implementer who flourishes with handling a variety of key initiatives concurrently;
• Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence";
• High energy, maturity, and leadership who can be a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels;
• Sincere dedication to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters;
• Must be a reliable and flexible team player with a friendly and professional attitude;
• Must have the ability to expertly and professionally handle all media types and independently troubleshoot on the fly.
• Demonstrated dedication with the ability to oversee projects from origin through execution.
• Willingness to learn and should be able to flourish in a high growth, dynamic environment.
• Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
• Self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit with hands-on approach towards business.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
The LA Clippers are an equal opportunity employer. It is the Clipper’s desire and intent that all employees enjoy a professional business working environment that is free from discrimination.
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
NOTE: This web-page does not accept applications and/or resumes for the NBA League Office. If you are interested in career opportunities with the NBA League Office, please click here.